Wednesday, October 29, 2014

I'm Scared of the Dark and the Dentist.

Which is a lie. Because I'm not scared of either. In fact, I actually really like my dentist. He's the same guy I've been seeing since I was 7. He super nice, he listens to me, and he's covered by my insurance. It's winning all around.

I have been having issues with my back two teeth for a long time now. When I went in for my check up in June, I told my dentist about it, and he suspected that my teeth had fractures. There isn't much you can do for them, except let them heal on their own.

Fast forward 4 months.

I can't chew on the right side of my mouth at all. Cold zings. Crunch zings. Soft zings. Everything zings. And it zings down my jaw for a good 10 seconds. So I went in to see what was going on. My teeth were still fractured, and not healing. So he suggested getting crowns placed.

Today, I had those crowns placed. (Well the plastic ones. The real ones come in about 2 weeks). They have to wear down the enamel all the way around the teeth in order for the crowns to fit properly. So I got to have laughing gas and numbing shots. The first numbing agent made my face and mouth really numb, but I could still feel the drilling in my teeth. And it was zingy. So he gave me a few more injections of the anesthetic. Still zingy. My dentist tried a different kind of anesthetic. And even injected some into my gums. Still zingy. After a desensitizing agent was put on my teeth it wasn't so bad. I was pretty tough, and we got through the procedure.

I even went to work with a numb face.


Now the numbing agent has worn off and DEAR MOTHER THIS HURTS SO BAD. He warned me it would be super achy. He gave me a lot of shots. (He joked and told me he had given me 20 shots. I think he's lying. It feels like 200).

So now my sweet husband is bringing me a smoothie, because the idea of having to chew anything makes me want to cry. And nobody wants to see that.

But at least I'm not afraid of the dentist.

After dentist selfie. This smile felt so funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment