Thursday, October 16, 2014

My Beauty Uniform

One of my favorite bloggers posted her beauty uniform on her blog recently. Visit her blog, if you haven't. THIS is the post where I am getting the questions.


Do you wear makeup?
Absolutely. I grew up a family where beauty and taking good care of my hair and skin was very important. I've worn make-up since I turned 12. Obviously, my routine has changed quite a bit since then.
What is your daily beauty routine?
I always wake up late. Like every single day of my life. So most of the time, my daily beauty routine has to be quick. I wash and moisturize my face most nights using Neutrogena Naturals. (Sometimes I forget, or I'm tired and lazy.) I found a foundation that is close enough to my skin color, that I can essentially use it like a concealer. I usually just dab a little under eyes to cover my dark circles, eyelids, and on my chin and around the corners of my nose, to cover any redness. I use powder finishing brush to apply my foundation. I personally hate foundation brushes. They are just too streaky. I line the tops of my eyelids with a minor cat-eye look. Then I layer on lots of mascara. I am an eyelash addict. I seriously love my eyelashes so much. I brush on a little bronzer, and maybe some chapstick.
Do you have any beauty “splurges”?
I have a few. GREAT foundation is always worth the splurge, in my opinion. There are lots of different kinds, but my absolute favorite is Teinte Idole Ultra 24 Hour Make Up by Lancôme. I am a 140 Ivory N. (The N means neutral. I don't really have pink or yellow undertones.) Since foundation is the base, and what most people put the most of on their skin, it's important to have good product. My other favorite splurge is great mascara. I love Lancôme Hypnose Drama.
My favorite knock offs are NYC High Definition Liquid Eyeliner. It's 4 bucks. And it lasts all day long. Longer than most of the high end liquid eyeliners that I've used. My other favorite knock off, and secret that I've kept for a long time is my favorite bronzer and blush. I LOVE the E.L.F Studio Contouring Blush and Bronzer. The color is pretty on everybody. And the bronzer gives a nice warm glow. It doesn't look overly shimmery or muddy. And the best part? 3 dollars. (E.L.F's brushes are great if you need a few. I like their pro series.)
Do you wear anything special on dates?
Dave and I don't have babies right now. So pretty much every night is date night. Hahaha. On nights where I have time, I like to do a smoky eye, or curl my hair. On busy days, I like to freshen up my mascara and blush.
What do you do to style and care for your hair?
My hair is naturally curly. For those of you who are blessed with wavy or straight hair, let me explain what this means. My hair is coarse. It does what it wants, how it wants, when it wants. And it is dry like a desert. But, I have spent the last few years making my hair work with me, instead of against me, and now I have a good hair routine.
I switch up my shampoo a lot. I use anything from Pantene to Redkin, but use color safe shampoo when I color my hair. My conditioner has been a toughie. Right now, my hair really likes the TIGI CatWalk Oatmeal and Honey Conditioner. I only apply it midshaft to my ends. It smells so yummy. Like fresh cookies. Our shower always smells like that for days.
I use Roman Oil after I get out of the shower. I work it into my ends. I personally use about 5 pumps. It makes my hair shiny, and I love the way it smells.
Learning how to properly blow dry my hair was a big step in my hair's health. I learned to blow dry DOWN the shaft of my hair that way I don't fry the cuticles.
I will openly admit, that I over style my hair. But I love my flat iron so much! I love curls, straight, bouncy, flirty hair. But I also like top knots on lazy days.

What do you like about your look, whether or not it's something "classically” beautiful?
I've always wished that I looked more exotic. Though I have a Lebanese heritage, most people have no idea. But, I do have dark hair, light skin, and dark blue eyes. I've always loved the way these 3 features play together. I love love love my freckles. I actually wish I had more of them. I love the way they dance across the bridge of my nose, and along my cheekbones.
What products do you pack when you travel?
What don't I pack? Hahaha. I usually pack my foundation, eyeliner and mascara, blush, and sometimes eyeshadow. I always pack my own blow dryer. Sometimes those hotel dryers get so hot. I have much more control with my own. And of course, my flat iron.
Do you have a game-changing beauty product?
I finally found the right shade of red for my skin tone. I always felt like such a clown wearing red lipstick. But this beautiful dark color brings out the natural pink in my cheeks, makes my teeth look whiter, and highlights my eyes. It's Maybelline Color Sensation in Deepest Cherry. I am in love.
Do you have a stance on bath vs. shower?
I love an occasional soak. I will sometimes put some Epsom Salt and lavender oil in if I've had a tough day. But I love HOT baths and showers. And I get more hot water taking a shower. Also-you can't really shave your legs in the bathtub, because that's kinda gross.
Do you have a signature scent?
I LOVE perfume. My mom always wore so many wonderful scents my entire life, so I have been seeking my "signature scent". I've always loved Light Blue by Dolce and Gabbana, but I haven't worn that perfume in quite some time. Body by Burberry is my favorite smell in the entire world. My mom got some for her birthday, and I steal a squirt whenever I go over to her house. (Dave will be getting me some for Christmas.)
Do you have any funny little tips you swear by?
It's totally gross, but because I fill my eyebrows using a matte eyeshadow, I will lick the brush I am using to apply the shadow. I don't know why, but spit works better than water in making it stay the entire day.
Was there a special person in your life (say, a friend or grandmother) who taught you about beauty?
My Grandma Carol and my mom. Grandma is such a beauty. She loves to try new shades of lipstick, and always wears just the right amount of blush. My mom though, is who mostly taught me what I know and view as beauty. I remember when I was little, watching my mom apply her make up, while I sat on the edge of the bathtub, simply mesmerized. She always made sure my sisters and I knew how beautiful we were.
When are times in your life that you've felt beautiful?
I feel beautiful at bizarre times. I feel really beautiful right before bed. When I'm in my jammies, and laying on the couch with Dave. (It probably has something to do with the sweet way that he looks at me). My Grandma Lynne always makes me feel like a stunner. "I could just look at you all day" she said to me recently. But I feel most beautiful when I paint. I am so in my element when I am creating art. I feel so whole.
Does Dave have a favorite look of yours? And does he ever weigh in on any other products or styles?
He likes it when I wear little to no make up. And when my hair is naturally curly. He doesn't mind when I try new things with my make up, unless I wear dark lipstick. Then it's no kisses for me!
What nail polish do you wear?
BASE COAT AND TOP COAT ARE EVERYTHING. I use the ORLY bonder, and Seche Vite. A good base and top coat pretty much allows you to use whatever nail polish you want, and have it stay. I really like the Sinful Colors line that they carry at drugstores. They are a two coat nail polish, but they have so many pretty colors, for a fraction of the price of OPI or China Glaze. The Nina Ultra Pro brand at Sally's is great too. I love the shape of the brush in their polishes.

Do you have any regrettable beauty trends you tried?
Emo Bangs. 3 inch eyeliner. So so bad. (Mother, why did you let me do this?!)
And it's no help that my sister is a total babe

Do you have any beauty pet peeves? Or is there any product or treatment you'll never use?
STOP CONTOURING YOUR FREAKING FACES. Everyone can tell. The only time I contour my face is for professional photo shoots. When make up artists are doing it for me. It looks unnatural, and everyone can tell. (And you're not one of the Kardashians...just sayin.)


Some amazing women have told us how they talk to their daughters about beauty. But I'm curious to know—what would you like your children to know?
I've always had a hard time being my own kind of beautiful, because beauty in the media seems so mainstream. But I want them to know that it's okay to be their own kind of beautiful. And that honestly, kindness and goodness gets people much further in life than pretty hair and make up ever will.
Last but certainly not least: Do you have an overall beauty philosophy?
Everyone has their own idea of what is beautiful, and what is not. Don't get caught up in it all. Find your own brand of beautiful. Don't let anyone tell you that you aren't beautiful, because you don't fit their personal standard of beauty. Also, always take really good care of your skin.


Laura at Simpleton Pleasures-I would love to hear all about your beauty uniform!!


All my love,

Alex Shuey

XOXO

4 comments:

  1. I love this blog post! I started bookmarking some of the individual products you mention, but then I just pinned the whole thing ;) I accept your challenge! I might not get to it for a week and a half because I'm going to Disneyworld tomorrow (!!) but rest assured, it will happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have so much fun at Disneyworld! Dave and I are slaves to Disney, so I totally get it. I look forward to hearing about everything when you are back!

      Delete
  2. I am very enjoyed for this blog. I feel strongly about it and love very latest backlink resource. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely like me, I love it. Buy Derma roller for acne scars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I don't know how I didn't see this earlier! Follow me, and I'll keep updating (:

      Delete