Thursday, March 6, 2014

Gluten Free and Quest for CornDogs!

So in case you haven't noticed, I am the worst blogger in the world.

It's not totally my fault. I have lots of moments where I'm like "I should blog about that..." but then I decide it's stupid, or too personal, so I neglect the blog even longer, and la la la. Anyway. I have felt the desire to blog recently, so tada! Here it goes.


After feeling sick a lot, never having any energy, and gaining some unexplainable weight, I decided I should probably call my good ol' GI doctor and see what was going on. After an endoscopy, and blood tests, it showed that I have mild gastroesophagitis...which is a really fancy way of saying heartburn, and a possible lactose intolerance. My test for Celiac disease came back negative, however my doctor informed me that for every 1 person with Celiac disease, there are 5 with gluten intolerance. The only real way to test and see if you are gluten intolerant is by eliminating gluten altogether.

After attending a GAPS (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) seminar, and reading up on the FODMAP diet (a diet that eliminates gluten, sucrose, and lactose), I felt I had enough information to cut out gluten completely. Within the first 3 weeks I had lost 12 pounds. It was nuts! My body was no longer in a constant inflammatory response. It wasn't until I had been off gluten for about 6 weeks that I started to notice my body feeling better. I had more energy, my digestive system was more regular, and I didn't feel sick anymore.

Eating gluten free can be really hard sometimes. Not all restaurants have gluten free menu's readily available, so I've had to figure out on my own. (And sometimes I feel like obnoxious ordering gluten free when we go out, but I feel better, so too bad.) And finding gluten free products has been interesting. It's easy to control whether or not there is wheat and gluten in my foods when I'm cooking, but sometimes, I really just want some chicken nuggets.

Or a corndog.


For about the last 2 weeks I have seriously been craving a corndog. I think Dave and I watched something, and they were eating corndogs. And I've wanted one ever since. The problem is, corndogs are not gluten free. Freaking hot dogs aren't gluten free. So I turned to the internet for answers. I discovered that there is a brand that carries gluten free corndogs. (It happens to be the same brand that carries gluten free nuggets...) APPLEGATE.

Last night, I could no longer tolerate my desire for corndogs. I had to have one. So I packed up my things and headed to Harmon's. I called my mom and announced the beginning of my quest for a corndog. She wished me the best of luck, and sent me on my way.

I arrived in the Harmon's parking lot, and hoped that they had them, because I really didn't want to have to run to walmart or target, or anywhere else. I went in and headed to their healthy lifestyle section, where they carry the majority of their gluten free products. I slowly searched every item in that freezer section, only to be disappointed. There wasn't a corndog in sight. I scanned a second time. Even slower. Still. No Corndogs. I was about to leave the store all annoyed. I really didn't want to go to Walmart. When it dawned on me.

Corndogs aren't healthy. Why in the hell would they be in the HEALTH section?

I laughed at myself, and headed towards their freezer meal section. I searched both lanes of freezers. Still, no corndogs. I was starting to get super irritated, when I realized there was an open freezer thing that had fries and tater tots in it. They would probably be there. I went halfway down the aisle. And then....I saw Applegate products. I started to feel crazy excited. And then I located the item of my affections. 4 beautifully boxed gluten free corndogs.


 I took my prize, and marched to the cash register. I proceeded to tell the cashier about my excitement, and he talked to me about how wheat is a completely different plant and that GMO's have single handedly screwed over the food industry. Yeeeeaaah! After 5 more minutes in the conversation and spending 7 bucks on 4 corndogs,  I went straight to my parents to cook to corndogs.

After 40 minutes of preheating the oven, and cooking the corndogs, I finally ate them. They had a strange texture, but damn, was it delicious.


Happy Friday Eve!

XOXO,

mrs. shuey

No comments:

Post a Comment