Sunday, February 3, 2013

Hospital. Surgery. Allergies. World's Best Husband.

For those of you who heard through the grapevine...

I was in the hospital. 5 times in the last week.

On Sunday, I felt a severe stab in my left side. I knew exactly what was going on-I had an ovarian cyst rupture. I told my husband I needed to go to the emergency room, because I was in severe pain, and it was spreading throughout my pelvis, and into my right side.
When we got to the Emergency Room, it was pretty much empty, so they admitted me quickly. Much to my dismay, they pressed on my tummy and asked me to rate my pain on a scale of 1-10. I was at an honest to goodness 8 or 9, so they placed an IV, and gave me morphine to help me manage my pain.

The pain didn't go away for several days. It was getting really exhausting, and I was afraid that something was wrong.

Thursday, we went in to see Dr. Gourley. And we knew immediately we were in great hands. He listened to me, my history, allergies, and my concerns. He suggested a laparoscopy to look around, and see what was going on. He scheduled it for the next morning, which was a big relief.

I spent the evening trying my best to keep calm. We spent some time at his parents house watching game shows. Cindy even babysat me in the morning while Dave was running a few errands. Dave was calming me, and soothing me, because he knew everything was going to be okay. I had only been put under general anesthesia once, and it was for like 20 minutes when I had my wisdom teeth out. I was freaking the **** out. Brian came over, and helped me calm down, and hung out with Dave and I for a while. And my mom came over to braid my hair for me.

Surgery day came. We didn't sleep much the night before. I was really scared. We were called in, and I put on a purple hospital gown that they could blow up with warm air. It was cute and purple. I talked with my dad and husband, and was feeling a little less petrified. I was pulled back to the waiting area where Dr. Gourley told me what to expect. (He is seriously the best OB/GYN around.) I was feeling less scared about the surgery, and still worried about the anesthesia. The anesthesiologist came in, and I instantly felt calmer. He was nice, and smiley, and had cold hands.. He explained to me what to expect, and reassured me that after 12 years of school, he knew exactly what he was doing. He wasn't a heart surgeon giving Michael Jackson anesthesia. (He honestly said that! Hahaha.) He gave me something to relax me. I don't remember what it was called. But I remember it feeling real good. When I actually got into the operating room, there was a cute tech that helped me onto the table, and they were listening to Pandora. My anesthesiologist asked me what I wanted to listen to. I was put out to Awake My Soul by Mumford and Sons. And that is the last thing I remember since I woke up this morning.


Today is much better. I was able to walk on my own, and although there is gas pain, my pelvis doesn't hurt anymore.



I'm so thankful that I had Dave taking care of me all week. I am seriously blessed with the sweetest, kindest, most caring husband in the universe. The man felt happy when I pooped. That's true love. I wouldn't have made it through this week without him. He was my biggest comfort, and my best friend. He watched every movie I wanted to, and I'm pretty sure he didn't get more than an hour of sleep a night for a week. He loves me more than I can comprehend. And I love him just as much. I love my Bubba, and he is the best husband I could ever ask for. If he's half the nurse he is at work, as he was to me, he's a kick-ass nurse.

And whenever I thank him for taking care of me. He simply responds "I do it because you're my Beeba."

I love him. So much.


1 month down. The rest of our lives to go.
If we can do this in the first month of our marriage, we can do anything.


All my love.
Alex Shuey
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment